Saturday, September 11, 2010

141 Thomas Street

One of my favorite neighborhoods within DC is Ledroit Park. Ledroit Park was one Washington's first suburbs. The area was developed in 1870 and dubbed the "romantic neighborhood" for its narrow, tree-lined streets and Victorian inspired homes. During the 20th Century, the neighborhood became the residence of many elite African-Americans such as Paul Laurence Dunbar and Duke Ellington. Although the area has undergone many changes, one can still sense the romance of this historic district.


While walking the neighborhood with a friend of mine, I met a former resident. Caleb Thomas moved to Ledroit Park in the 1960s after serving in the United States Army. He spoke reverentially of the era as he proudly stood in front of his former home, 141 Thomas Street NW. We were captivated by his stories and pleased to hear that Ledroit Park lived up to its remarkable reputation. I was also thrilled that Mr. Thomas allowed me to snap a few shots of him in front of his former residence. I absolutely love it when life gives me these moments!


- S. Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment