Monday, June 14, 2010

Amen, amen, and amen

Tonischia Purvis and I met our junior year of college when we were in the Miss Spelman College Pageant. Little did I know then that one of my fiercest competitors would become one of my dearest friends. Toni is one of my "besties!" We have shared much laughter, many tears, lots of secrets, and our biggest fears.

This weekend, never having been to the west coast before, I hopped a plane and made my way to California so I could salute my bestie's achievement and witness her walk across the stage. As I was en route to the ceremony, I sent her a text telling her to remember that I was there with her. She sent me back a text smiley face, not realizing that I was actually in California and would be attending her graduation. When I found her amongst her fellow graduates before the commencement processional, both of our eyes welled up with tears. I screamed, "We can't cry; we have on mascara!" We then burst into laughter and gave each other a big hug.

Trying to think of a word to describe Toni, the adjective "amazing" first came to mind. She always carries herself with grace and dignity, and she maintains a positive and enthusiastic attitude no matter what obstacles face her. She never lets set-backs stop her, and she constantly pushes herself -- and others -- towards the pinnacle of success. She is a full-time business owner, student, community servant, and an all around inspiration.

It is, both, fitting and proper that Toni received a Master of Arts degree in Christian Leadership. She epitomizes the meaning of Christian Leadership and embodies the principles of Christ in her daily walk. This is only the beginning.

I love you Toni. My prayer is that God continue to shower you with blessings you so graciously pour on others.

- C. Marie












1 comment:

  1. Great post, Marie! These pictures make me feel as though I was there!

    I am so proud of and happy for Tonischia!

    Shanelle

    ReplyDelete